Here are some things to keep in mind when considering whether or not to include a bathroom in your DIY basement design:
- Try to put your bathroom near and existing drain. It's no fun to bust up 10" concrete, and the less you have to break to install the toilet, etc. the happier you'll be.
- You may want to consider hiring a professional for this step if the plumbing hasn't been 'roughed in', or maybe even if it has
- If space is limited, a half bath is better than none. However, don't make it so small that it feels like you're in a closet.
- One thing to remember is that if you add a new bathroom, that's one more bathroom to clean. If you don't mind going up the stairs you may want to pass on it after all.
- Keep in mind that adding a bath or other plumbing will add considerable time and expense to your project- especially if you're hiring a plumber to do the bathroom, but doing the rest of the basement yourself.